Investing in the Canada (Quebec in particular)

2 Replies

The investment seminar I took promised to teach me how to invest in property for no money down and even with bad credit. But now that it's all said and done I am wondering if I was duped because I've been told that assigning homes in Quebec is illegal (which was one way to start making money with Real Estate without putting money down) and wholesaling doesn't apply here because we have quite a strong market, so I'm just not sure where that leaves me on how someone with no money can break into investing in the Canadian market. Will the no or low money down book written by Brandon Turner apply to me living in Montreal as well?

I'm not defeated, just wondering what my options are, any advice would be appreciated. 

@Nicole Thompson

Bienvenue chez BP! / Welcome to BP!

I'm naturally skeptical of real estate seminars and gurus "no money" investing schemes. It is possible to purchase properties in la belle province, or the rest of Canada, with little down payment, but such opportunities will be few and far - particularly in the larger urban centres - and you won't be finding them on the MLS.

While one may have little money starting out, naturally one will have little experience.  Making deals with little or not money down is less likely with a green investor than one who is seasoned.

There are lots of options to work in real estate (agent, appraiser, contractor, house staging, etc) while you gain experience and some will even afford you an income while you learn.

As for assignment of contracts or options in Québec, there are folks doing so.  You may want to reach out to @William Johnson who is doing just that in MTL.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here