Alternative Exit Strategy Advice Please

2 Replies

Hello and Thank You for giving me a moment.  

Quick back story.

2007 was doing well in life until a pick up rear ended me at a light. I was stopped on a motorcycle. He had only liability insurance and was on disability.  6 surgeries and 14 months learning how to walk again left me filing for bankruptcy. 

2009 march, bankruptcy discharged. Including home, not reaffirmed.

Currently, looking to purchase another home and begin flip and buy/hold depending on property. Found out lender never forclosed until December 2012 and home actually transfered out of my name in March 2013. If I understand correctly, I will qualify for FHA loan in March 2015, after 3yr waiting period. What about conventional?

If conventional is another 4 years to satisfy Fannie Mae,  what options do I have? My plan was to use hard money,  then either sell or cash out refi to 80% as my exit strategy. My income and credit are well within the guidlines and my debt to income is currently 12%.

Thanks for any advice, I really want to get started but also do not want to subject myself to any completely avoidable risk.

Check out Brandon's book on creative financing. Private loans, seller financing and subject to's are all ideas. And some local banks who portfolio their loans may be willing to look past the foreclosure.

Thanks for reply Andrew Syrios. Will definitely take a look at Brandon's book. 

I found out that Fannie Mae had an asterisk next to the wait periods on their chart. It indicates 4 years after bankruptcy can be used if both Bk and Forclosure both take place. However, it is up to the lenders interpretation, so basically back to square one. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here