Besides getting a license, what are the fundamentals of success?

4 Replies

I hear many older people who are doing well in sales in other fields say that if they were younger real estate would be the choice. But how to get started? At least, successfully... many become a real estate agent but barely survive.

I am will to sacrifice and do what is neccessary(ethically) to obtain results.

This post is mainly for the veterans of the industry who have talked the talk but walked the walk by backing their words with experience. 

How was it starting out?

What would you do differently, better or sacrificed when starting out as a realtor?

Your input would be greatly appreciated as it would help others also.

Thank you for reading.

Thank you. I also hear from many other real estate agents that it is brutal and hard to get leads unless their "circle of influence" needs help from a them. What traits do you see from mediocre realtors that I can learn to avoid?

@Account Closed

Do you want to be a successful sales person in Real Estate? Or do you want to achieve a certain level of success period with Real Estate as part of your strategy? I'd suggest reading The Millionaire Real Estate Investor and The Millionaire Real Estate Agent and think about whether you want to do one or the other or both. Many of the most successful RE investors never got a RE license - they simply bought and managed rental real estate. You may be more motivated and effective selling in another arena while investing in real estate. 

Thank you for responding Doug.

I don't know.

I work part time so the level of income isn't a lot.

I enjoy talking, getting to know people and helping them to receive the best service possible. The aspect of negotiating and earning as much possible is what I aim at. I am willing to do the work.

I will check out both books that you recommended.

much appreciation.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you