Northern Virginia Starter

1 Reply

Hello, I have been reading a lot of forums and reading books after books.....Rich Dad Poor Dad..my favorite so far. Right now I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I jump into anything that could lead me to a disaster. I learn more with hands on, I would like to set in, get hands on with a flipper/wholesaler. What should a beginner start with wholesaling, flipping.......just want to start???

Welcome to BP

@Kyandrea Fowlkes , deciding which niche to start with in real estate is a difficult question for anyone to answer for someone else because that decision is so specific and unique to the individual investor based on your interests and available resources.  Ultimately, you'll need to have a basic understanding of multiple niche's so you can have more than one exit strategy for each opportunity. 

The best advise I can give is to start by reading the BP Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing that has a great overview of the various niche's, determine what resources you have now (i.e., available funds, time etc.) because no matter what is said you need a minimum level of funds to start in real estate.  

Not sure where you are in VA but I recommend you start attending some local REIA, I have attended a few in Northern VA, I really like the CAZA in Falls Church and have attended Traction, while with Traction you gotta ignore all the up selling and just take the opportunity to meet other local investors (special note: leave your wallet at home to not be tempted by the bright shiny lights of riches in days, if you still want it after a couple days of thinking about it go for...this is a serious tip. As any information they are selling is usually free here on BP).

If these REIA are not near you, you can go to www.meetup.com and search for meetings in your local area.

Keep reading BP articles/recommended books, listening to podcasts, watching webinars and you will learn which niche feels right for you.  My favorite quote is "Real Estate is a get rich slow process" do your due diligence.

Good luck

Updated almost 6 years ago

This great article for you: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/09/05/pick-real-estate-investment-strategy-you/