Cut Out The Middle Man (Me)

2 Replies

As it relates to flipping, how do I protect myself from a buyer who may want to cut me out of the deal so that he/she can take over the property for a lower price?  I heard of stories where the buyer waits until the investor's contract is up and then they contact the seller directly to close the deal.

Thanks,
Kelvin

Hello Kelvin,

It happens all the time. You need a non circumvent agreement. Have the potential buyer sign a non circumvent for each address/property you put in front of them. It should state something to the effect that if they purchase the address listed on the agreement within X amount of time (12 months, 3 years, whatever) then your fee has been earned and is due upon settlement of the property. This will protect you. Sometimes you have to go back and do some digging if they settle the property in an LLC so make sure the non-circumvent includes personally as well as any entity they may be part of no matter ownership percentage. Hope that helps!

Cheers!

Hey Chris,

Thanks!  This is exactly what I'm looking for.  Anything to try and curtail this from happening helps.

Regards,
Kelvin

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here