New Jersey Floodzone Disclosure

5 Replies

Hi guys, where do we get a standard Flood Zone disclosure for a lease? 

Also are we required to provide this to the tenant or is it applicable just when the house is hold? 

@Louie C. from what I understand you just need to have it as a line item in your lease.  I have one property that according to the flood maps the house is not in the zone but the parking area is.  It doesn't require me to have flood insurance but I still let the tenant's know that there is a stream on the adjacent property that overflows onto it and they park their cars at their own risk.  Also any items they store in the garage are also done at their own risk. 

Not sure what you mean when you say "the house is hold".   Please explain.

Darren Sager, Real Estate Agent in NJ (#0897533)
862-208-2287

@Darren Sager , Thanks. "hold" = "sold". Meaning, is the disclosure required for tenants, or buyers. 

"TRUTH-IN-RENTING" DISCLOSURE

Pursuant to the Truth-in-Renting Act, N.J.S.A. 46:8-43 et seq., Landlord hereby notifies Tenant that the Building is located in a flood zone.  Tenant acknowledges that this letter constitutes notice by Landlord to Tenant as required by the Truth-in-Renting Act pursuant to N.J.S.A. 46:8-50.

During the term of this Lease, Tenant, at its sole cost and expense, shall obtain and maintain flood insurance with respect to its furniture, fixtures, equipment and other personal property located in the Premises in an amount not less than the maximum insurance coverage available for contents pursuant to the National Flood Insurance Program; it being understood that Landlord shall have no obligation to obtain flood insurance with respect to Tenant’s furniture, fixtures, equipment and other personal property, and Landlord shall have no liability or responsibility with respect thereto.  Such flood insurance shall be subject to, and maintained in accordance with, all of the terms and conditions of Articles ___, ___ and ___ of the referenced Lease. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.