Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Untersee
  • Lender
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
Some wouldn't call it an investment, but it's a start.

Andrew Untersee
  • Lender
  • Nashville, TN
Posted May 23 2017, 20:31

Well, I just signed the purchase agreement a couple days ago and if all goes according to plan then I will be a homeowner at the age of 26. Exciting, right? My friends seem to think so, and so does my fiance. Yet, for such a big milestone, why does it feel like only a drop of water in this large empty pool of progress? Don't get me wrong, I'm excited too. I've pushed hard for this and in a hot market like Nashville, it's hard to come by a good SFH in a decent part of town, and that's exactly what I've got. It's not the biggest, but for my family, it's a perfect starter home. While not necessarily a "deal," the price is reasonable for the size and location. So, why the apprehension? After all, I'll be accomplishing this on my own, with the meager savings I've made from my modest W-2, while supporting the family on a single income. It is kind of a big deal.

Conversely, for about a month now, my appetite for knowledge in REI has been voracious to say the least. I read, I listen, I watch, and I learn and I can't stop. I won't. For better or worse, I'm in it now because I know it's right for me, but I'll let my actions be the testament of my dedication when the time comes. Yet, if there's one thing I've learned so far, it's the difference between an asset and a liability. And about a month from now, I'll be signing off on the biggest liability of my entire young adult life, thus far.

Maybe it's pessimistic. Maybe it's realistic. I'm still not sure. What I do know is that now I've got an itch to find a real deal, and I won't stop until I've scratched that itch. Even though I haven't quite gotten all the steps figured out thereafter, I know that's a good place to start. After I take that first step, I'll figure out where to go from there. Until then, I'll be making friends and talking REI with anyone who is willing to have that conversation. I may be new to Nashville, and I may be new to investing, but I'm no stranger to opening new doors and exploring possibilities.

When the opportunity does present itself -- I'll be ready. 

Keep persisting, y'all

Loading replies...