Votes
Derek Luttrell
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Bigger Pockets Distracting Me from Day Job

Derek Luttrell
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Jul 20 2017, 12:16

I discovered this community no more than 60 days ago, and tomorrow I am actually closing on my first purchase; a 3-bedroom condo where I am renting out the other 2 bedrooms to roommates who are paying 76% of my mortgage. Buying in Chicago wasn't even a twinkle in my eye before finding BP, so it's safe to say this really lit a fire under me. 

Every day at work now--almost instinctively--I find myself having these forums up on one of my screens, or one headphone in my ear listening to Scott Trench's "Set For Life." I graduated college three years ago and have performed well in my first job out of school in logistics sales (my W2 in 2015 was $44,000, then $79,000 in 2016, now trending for $129,000 in 2017) but even then, I'm finding myself using the time at my day job to study and research what I really want to do--retire with ample passive income when I turn 40 in 15 years. 

Has anyone else felt this sensation? It's hard to say I would ever walk away from the $10-12,000 paychecks I've started to make at my job, but ever since I found BP I am no longer excited to celebrate my pay days with bar tabs or weekend trips, but rather down payments for a new property. My friends think I'm crazy, but I'm already drooling over some duplexes I've seen in Indiana, where my dad and brother live. I haven't even closed on my first property, and I'm already yearning for my second. 

Thank you everyone for posting your knowledge and experiences. I truly enjoy reading them all on a daily basis. 

All the Best, 

- Derek 

Loading replies...