How to make an offer on house in probate

3 Replies

Hello,  I am new to this forum and new to investing in real estate.  I've listen to many of the BP Pod cast and find them very informative.   I have heard that "empty" property or property in probate could possible be good to pursue.   There is a house down the street from me that has been empty for approximately 3 yrs now, as the owner has died.  What are my steps from here?   Thanks   ~Julie

@Julie Fall - Find out who is responsible for it. It should be as easy and looking up the tax information on it (most are online now, it's likely something you can look up or call your county tax person) and finding that person's number or contact information.

From there, talk to whoever is responsible for it, it may be an estate type situation so make sure in that case everyone involved is agreeing and willing to sign off on it (I'd have an attorney involved).

@Julie Fall

Research the death certificate from the coroner's office. Whomever filled it out (relative, acquaintance, etc.,) will be your first point of contact.

Then match the decedents name with the address "of the empty property" at the tax assessors office.

Your next step would be to make a trip to the county courthouse (Strafford County) and see if a probate case has been filed.

If so, when you send your probate marketing letter make sure it's sympathetic, compassionate and with empathy.

Good luck....

I google the name and look for an online obituary. They usually list who are the deceased's surviving relatives and heirs.

They can hire a lawyer or complete probate themselves. In NC they seem to push you towards hiring an attorney but you don't have to.

In NC you don't need to pull the property into the estate unless it's needed to pay debts. If the estate can be settled without the property being sold then the heir or devisee (person who inherited it as directed by the will) can sell it to you. In NC it can be sold after the first or second notice to creditors has run.

Again I'm unfamiliar if these laws are the same in your state.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here