Is this good to START with 6 apts rental multi-family investment?

1 Reply

Hello,

I am still considering to buy my first investment property. It seems multi-family building is better because:

1) It is cheaper to buy the 6 apts single building than 6 individual condos

2) I don't need to follow 6 board actions. I just manage the building myself

3) If some apartments are vacant...it is not a matter of 100% vacancy and hurry to find new tenant

But it seems too risky to start "new full-time like" responsibility without "first experience with smaller scale".

What do you think?

Another question is about getting a real estate licence to buy just one property in Illinois. If property is 750k...3% buyer agent fee is over 22k! Can I save it? I can get a license for about 1,000-1,500 by spending some time and saving what.. 20k? Does it make sense to get the license for such purchase?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts,

Alex

Originally posted by @Alex Malko :

Hello,

I am still considering to buy my first investment property. It seems multi-family building is better because:

Statement 1:  1) It is cheaper to buy the 6 apts single building than 6 individual condos

Statement 2:  2) I don't need to follow 6 board actions. I just manage the building myself

Statement 3:  3) If some apartments are vacant...it is not a matter of 100% vacancy and hurry to find new tenant

Statement 4:  But it seems too risky to start "new full-time like" responsibility without "first experience with smaller scale".

What do you think?

Another question is about getting a real estate licence to buy just one property in Illinois. If property is 750k...3% buyer agent fee is over 22k! Can I save it? I can get a license for about 1,000-1,500 by spending some time and saving what.. 20k? Does it make sense to get the license for such purchase?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts,

Alex

Comment 1: It's not the cost, it's the net cash flow that counts

Comment 2:  Have fun

Comment 3:  No, you have 100% vacancy in that unit.  6 Units with 1 vacancy is the same thing as 6 properties with 1 vacancy.  The apartment unit isn't any less vacant.

Comment 4:  ...then learn about risk controls, and put them in place.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.