Seminars and classes

3 Replies

What does everyone think about real estate seminars? I went to a seminar the other day a learned some valuable information but it was hard to distinguish if the speaker was just boasting about their intensive class or if they actually wanted to help. They seemed like they had some inside knowledge and a great system that guarantee results when it comes to income producing properties.  They were some great salesmen and I forgot to bring my wallet so when I went to go sign up for the classI could not. I viewed it as a sign. What is your experience with these seminars and the classes they offer. Was is a good thing I forgot my wallet or a missed opportunity? 

Bryan,

IMHO seminars are a waste of time and money. I think there are investments with better returns on/of both out there.  Since you are an agent, you have access to some really talented folks in your industry.  

Your best bet is to find a really great deal and partner with a local investor/mentor to get things moving. If you are doing the agent thing correctly, you should be talking to at least 30 or more folks per day, previewing 6 to 10 houses, working with buyers, your sellers, other agents, mortgage brokers and appraisers.  

Certainly in all of those contacts you can find someone who knows someone that you can learn from without paying thousands of dollars. 

If you are at a loss as to how to begin,  start with the oldest, most experienced sales person in your office. Shadow them for a day or two. You'll learn more in those two days than you'd ever learn in any seminar. 

The guy I learned from, when he started out, his designated broker/owner wouldn't let him sell anything he didn't buy himself. That right there is a real education. 

Just a thought or two.

Good luck, 

Jim 

@Bryan Sullivan did you do your due diligence about this company or program. If you didn't, you should before you do anything with this company to see if they're legit or not. Read some reviews, check their pricing (if they're really expensive don't even waste your time), and ask about the company here on bp I'm sure somebody has heard of it or went to it before. These are just some ideas for your due diligence to see if this company is legit or not. I hope this helps you, Good Luck!

I also 100% agree with James C. He is spot on. I never went to any of these courses or payed for anything, everything I learned was from podcasts, forums, videos, investors, etc.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.