How to research markets?

3 Replies

Hi everyone,

I’m a new investor looking to purchase my first 3-4 unit deal and need some advice. These types of units in my current market go for more than $200,000 with rents ranging $850-950 for two bed rooms apartments. Since I don’t make a lot of money and I don’t want to use partners for every deal, I’m looking into 2 different city’s that are about 1 - 1 1/2 hours away from me. Compatible houses start at $130,000 with rents ranging $650-$750 for 2 bed room apartments in these two areas. I have 20k to start off with, option for FHA loan, parents who would fund repair costs. My goal is to get into commercial real estate or purchase enough properties for finacial freedom. Here are my questions-

What steps can I take to research these new markets to know what my best options are?

Timothy.

The returns for both of those properties are not going to be good. Where I invest we buy properties for $60k and they rent for the same amount. Cash flow is much better. 

Originally posted by @Antoine Martel :

Timothy.

The returns for both of those properties are not going to be good. Where I invest we buy properties for $60k and they rent for the same amount. Cash flow is much better. 

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here