First time buyer house-hack a Duplex... Financing Question

4 Replies

My wife and I are in our mid 20's and are looking for our first home. We want to house hack and live in one side of a duplex. It seems like an FHA loan is our best bet. We have about 3 grand saved and need to keep saving. My question is whats a good goal to save for before we start looking for a duplex. Obviously for the down payment and fees, but also for reserve cash? We are in the San Antonio area and from what I've seen a decent duplex goes for about $160,000.

Any thoughts on financing a first house and how to do that would be really helpful. 

Thank you

@Nicholas Ziegler Hi Nicholas! Sounds like you and your wife have a great plan at such a young age. Every time I get ready to buy, the first thing I do is call my lender. I tell him the parameters of the purchase and he tells me what I will need in terms of paperwork, records and money in the bank. So that's what I recommend as a first step.

@Betty Cruz thanks for the input. Are there any local lenders here in San Antonio that you would recommend?

@Nicholas Ziegler I use @Andrew Postel with Gateway Mortgage - he is in Dallas area so not exactly local but a great teacher and BP member. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.