Metrics for all-concrete structure market

2 Replies

Hello BP! I'm trying to find buy and hold metrics for rentals built entirely out of concrete. I reside on Guam and normal construction is all concrete. Given the higher cost of materials, does anyone have calculations for this type of market? For example, the 1% is simply not possible based on cost to build. Any help is appreciated.

@John T. I believe you have to decide on the metrics you are looking at for the goals you want achieve in your ownership of a portfolio.  For example, my main metric is that each door generates a net cash flow of $100 minimum.  If I were you, I would look at several deals I was interested in, and run the numbers on them, you will begin to notice a pattern which will help you understand your market better, and help you zero in on the metrics you will use to analyse properties.  Once you understand the numbers you are looking for, you can then look at deals, and decide your offer prices for those deals and begin putting in offers.  Hope this helps. 

@Dorothy Butala Thanks for the insight. I will definitely try using that research method for my local market. There are so many rules of thumb on BP, but it seems that many do not apply to this type of market (99% of all properties are completely concrete). For example, factoring in CapEx for roof replacement when a roof here lasts forever practically. Also, the 1% rule seems almost impossible considering the mere cost to build a home out of all concrete. But yes, thanks for the advice!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.