Soon to be college grad starting out in a real estate career

2 Replies

Hey everyone, I need some advice on what jobs I should be looking for to get started in real estate.  I am going to graduate in May of 2018 with my Accounting undergrad (+Finance minor) and my MBA, and I should be getting my CPA license in 2018.  I have worked in a small accounting firm for the last three years, which has given me the chance to work with real estate investors.  It made me realize that I wanted to invest in real estate for my own personal wealth building endeavors, but I want to enhance my real estate skill by getting a job that complements my investing goals.   What types of jobs should I be looking for that would utilize my financial background while also growing my real estate knowledge?  Is it reasonable to expect the same level of salary as entry level accounting jobs?  Because I could be earning $50K annually in a public accounting job.  I am going back and forth on getting a regular accounting job and investing on the side or getting a real estate job to enhance my investing.  Any advice would be appreciated!  

A few other facts about me: I'm 23 years old, and I am married.  My wife and I are planning on doing a duplex/triplex/quadplex house hack  as our first investment as soon as I have graduated and we can save the down payment.  Thanks in advance for the help!

not sure you need a real estate job..just get your 50k cpa job and use that money to invest in real estate on the side....or maybe skip working for cpa firm and start your own firm right out of the gate!

@Nathan Langdon Good for you on looking into real estate and welcome to BP! I would suggest working in the area/job that has the best pay, job culture and won't kill you with crazy hours. I would recommend saving as much money as you can and using that money as a down payment for a house hack like you plan to do. Be frugal and be smart! It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders so keep working and saving along with leveraging your money and I'm sure you will be successful! Good luck! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.