House hacking before transitioning to RE Agent career?

3 Replies

I am looking to make my first investment into RE in the form of a small multi , "house hack" owner occupied (du/tri/quad) using an FHA loan.

I am also simulataneously in the process of obtaining my RE license and would like to transition into a career as an agent in the Tacoma/Puyallup Wa Market. I recently learned that in order to use my license I would have to be working under a brokerage Firm

My concern is that if I make the transition into real estate that I would not meet income requirements for FHA financing but would also like to take advantage of my license when purchasing to negotiate a lower purchase price.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Dan,

If you go into real estate before you complete your purchase you won't be able to complete the FHA financing.

Stay with your current employer until you finish the transaction.  After that,  then you can transition to real estate.  You don't need a license to negotiate,  you can do that without one.

Quite frankly,  if you are going into real estate to make deals, then you aren't going into it for the right reasons. 

Good luck, 

Jim 

Thank you for the reply, Jim. To clarify, my motivation for transitioning into a RE career is not to make deals for myself but I would like to reap the benefits if possible for my first deal.

To follow up, i am aware that I need the steady w2 income from my employer to qualify for an FHA loan. I was planning to keep the job while simultaneously connecting my license to a brokerage. Are you saying that the latter would disqualify me from fha financing?

Dan,

Nope. As long as you have your W2 income, you should be good to go. The only issue is if you leave your W2 income before or during the loan application process. 

So, yes you can get a commission if you are an agent -buyer while having a license and working a W2 job. It's subject to whatever deal you have with the broker you have your license with.

Hope that helps. 

Good luck, 

Jim

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.