Actions to take before (eventually) being "assigned" a RE market

5 Replies

I feel as though this maybe be unique to military personnel, but also pertains to those who are just starting out. Contrary to my previous post, I am now uncertain of my next Permanent Duty Station (PDS) due to the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) I was assigned. I was studying the Jacksonville, NC area diligently and becoming familiar with the different sub-markets within, but now East/West Coasts are both possibilities (maybe even Hawaii or overseas). I'll be in that area for MOS school, but it is unclear whether I will be stationed there permanently. My question is: How can I be productive in this time of uncertainty? What actions would be an investment or catalyst for my future real estate endeavors, regardless of the location?

V/R

Paddy

Hey Padric,

I can certainly understand your concern! Until you find out where your next duty station is going to be you can always further your education! What area are you located now?

That seems to be my default option at the moment! Currently, I am in Quantico, VA. Within the next month or two, I'll be in Jacksonville, NC only for 6 weeks.

Just like @Jim Stallings said.  Keep educating yourself!  Even if you aren't staying in Jacksonville, learn the market, find out whats going on out there.  Take what you learn now and apply it once you make it to your duty station.  Best of luck!

Trenton Miller, Broker in NC (#298517)

Padric, 

I was in your same situation myself about four years ago and I agree with Trenton. Use the time of uncertainty to learn as much as possible. I read every book I could get my hands on and really honed what I wanted to do for my first investment property. Well worth it. Keep us updated on your next PCS.

Benjamin Kelly

Thank you for the input gentlemen! This post may have been fueled by impatience as I received my PDS earlier this morning. Cherry Point, NC will be where I reside. It is a mere hour or so drive from Jacksonville, so that will help me get acquainted with the area and I could possibly end up investing in both locations.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
      • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
      • Learn how to get started with or without money,
      • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
      • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.