Hartford Market not selling

6 Replies

Hi everyone, I am in CT and looking for a two or three family in West Hartford Hartford area and having a hard time finding anything. There are tons of 3 families in West Hartford but none are for sale. Any advice on trying to get into the market with owners not selling? I was thinking of looking up public records for 3 family houses and reaching out to owners to see if anyone is Interested in selling for the right price. Anyone ever done this? Any advice? Also, is there an efficient way to find the house listings? I am looking at public records and I can only look street by street and click each address individually, is there a way to search and filter? What is the best strategy when no one is selling ? Thank you, Nicole

@Nicole Grenier Start by being sure you have a VALID pre-approval.  That means that a lender pulled tax returns, pay stubs, W2s and bank statements.

Next go find a good, full-time real estate agent and tell them you're ready to buy now.

I assume CT is a lot like MA in that good deals sell almost instantly, so to improve your chances, be ready to act instantly.  

Keep a blank check with you at all times and be sure your agent is ready to write an offer on the spot - and make sure your agent knows what an escalation clause is and how to use it.

That's not a rock solid guarantee, but I can promise that if you wait for the weekend to submit an offer, your chances of success will plummet.

Charlie MacPherson, Real Estate Agent in MA (#9532146)
781-412-4151

Hi Charlie - thank you very much. I have a Valid Pre-approval.  I will reach out to my agent about an escalation clause as well.  Should I be ready to write an offer and then go through the place with a contractor before finalizing the deal?

Hi Charlie - thank you very much. I have a Valid Pre-approval.  I will reach out to my agent about an escalation clause as well.  Should I be ready to write an offer and then go through the place with a contractor before finalizing the deal?

@Nicole Grenier Assuming CT works like MA, yes.  Get it under contract, then have your CT licensed home inspector and if possible, your contractor visit at the same time.

Here in MA we typically have a 10 day window for due diligence, which normally means a home inspection.

Charlie MacPherson, Real Estate Agent in MA (#9532146)
781-412-4151

Nicole,

West Hartford is one of Central CT's A market's, but there are others. If you can't make a West Hartford deal work- you should consider Glastonbury, Rocky Hill, or like towns- where it is still B+ area's.

Hi Nicole,

I'm in the same boat; I've been looking for an owner occupied unit in West Hartford but have some strict requirements which is especially limiting for me. My recommendation is to look for properties that aren't listed on MLS and call around to owners, just keep in mind you're not gonna get a "great" deal given the demand in West Hartford. Financially they aren't great in terms of ROI/COC but if that's where you want to live then it's a reasonable trade off. The other thing you might want to look at is some of the single families that hit the market. I saw a couple FM home path homes that were great deals (much better than any multi units I've seen in West Hartford). You could live in and rehab for 1 or 2 years and flip or turn into a rental. I'd rather have a single family rental that I bought at $120k than an duplex at $300k-$400k.

Let me know if you find any duplex with a unit >2,000 sq ft, <$450k and North of Farmington Ave. :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.