How to get the lowest down payment?

4 Replies

I'm new to real estate investing, and I'm trying to learn as much as possible before plunging into my first deal. I was just curious on how y'all did y'all's first deal, and how you can buy with the lowest down payment. I want to hear your stories. Thanks in advance

I’ve never done this because I already had a house prior to getting into RE investing, but house hacking. I believe some banks you can put as little as 3.5% down.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought a multi family home.. lived in one unit and rented the other unit(s) out. As a primary residence, you are not required to put as much down as an investment property.

Plus... you’re living in a place where your tenants are essentially paying off your mortgage. Depending on the numbers.. it could be you living in a place at an extremely discounted price or possibly free!

Hope this helps!

@Tristen Corman I would recommend "house hacking" using an FHA or 203k loan. You can purchase up to a 4plex with as little 3.5% down. If you find a house that needs major repairs the 203k loan will allow you to include all the repairs into your loan. After living there for a min 1 year (FHA guidelines) refinance into a conventional mortgage and do it again (FHA loan).

I recently purchased a MFH and currently house hacking. My tenants are paying my PITI and the difference to me is $50 a month. After one year I will finance out of FHA loan and repeat the process.

I hope this helps!  

Hah - if I could have just $1 for every time I hear this question...:)

One - a nice Luxury House Hack is the bomb. As an owner-occupant you are subject to the easiest financing options. There are other advantages as well.

Two - needing to make a downpayment is not the same as needing to write a check out of your own account. OPM comes in many shapes and sizes :)

Good Luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.