Non-US citizen (Things to know)

4 Replies

As you can see from the subject, I'm not from the US. I've read a couple of blogs for investing as an international, but thought I'd ask some of the professionals here. What are some important facts international investors should know before investing on a US real estate; things that are different(disadvantageous) for non citizens I mean. It could be in regards to getting loans from banks, to getting taxed while selling. I'm new here so I don't know whether I'm posting in the right section so please don't mind that. 

My profile states that I'm from Los Angeles,CA, but that's a mistake with the postal code that I saved. Now I have to wait to change that again.

Thank you 

The only financing you might be able to get would be non-status so you would have to put up at least 35% .

You will have to get a tax id and file US taxes. You probably will not be able to provide the paperwork as a  Section 8 landlord.

Realistically you probably need to be a cash investor.

Do you mean that common real estate investment strategies like buy and hold, wholesaling, fix and flip can only be done by an investor holding a US citizenship? Or do you mean that, after paying a 35% down payment a non-US citizen could also get a bank loan and then purchase a real estate like any local real estate investor?

Cash investment isn't my area of interest so that's not an option for me.

Originally posted by @Junseok Choi :

Do you mean that common real estate investment strategies like buy and hold, wholesaling, fix and flip can only be done by an investor holding a US citizenship? Or do you mean that, after paying a 35% down payment a non-US citizen could also get a bank loan and then purchase a real estate like any local real estate investor?

Cash investment isn't my area of interest so that's not an option for me.

You will only be able apply for non-status financing because you do not have a US credit history. I can't say whether you would get it or not you would need to approach a lender that services that market.

@Junseok Choi I don't know where you are from but my advice would be to travel to the US and visit the markets you are interested in. Call local brokers in those areas and meet with them, meet with lendors that are local in the market and see what they require and how you can work something out. I think it will be very very very difficult to make REI investing happen while being an out of country investor. With that said it isn't impossible but you need to make connections and have people you trust on the ground or in the area you wish to invest in. Real estate is a business and a job that is very hands on. If you aren't knowledgeable and don't know the market or area people will take advantage of you. I see people take advantage of ignorant out of state investors, they will probably do the same with out of country investors. Study, learn and network that is my advice!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here