Carpenter vs. General Contractor

2 Replies

Hello all! So I am preparing to started a business in wholesaling, yay me :), and one of the major components I have been tinkering with is how to ensure what I have on my hands is an actual deal. I know the way to figuring that out is being able to read the numbers and factor the correct range of the estimated repair cost. Because I know nothing about repair cost, as a way to learn I had the bright idea to use a contractor to help with the estimate in exchange for free advertisement to investors. I was able to find a potential person to work with however, I noticed in the titling for his company it states he is a carpenter. So this leads me to the question, what is the difference between a carpenter and a general contractor? 

P.S. Sorry it took so long to get to the question I’m long winded :)

Hi @Danielle Kirkman A General Contractor is a licensed contractor that is qualified to pull permits within the state he or she is licensed in. If you purchase a property and it has violation or if it is not up to code you will need a licensed General Contractor to pull this permit with the Building department of the municipality. A carpenter is a skilled tradesman that usually works with cutting and shaping wood. I would just ask him if he's a licensed GC. 

Jack V. Ospina, Broker in Florida (#BK3253158)
305-815-8384

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.