Carpenter vs. General Contractor

2 Replies

Hello all! So I am preparing to started a business in wholesaling, yay me :), and one of the major components I have been tinkering with is how to ensure what I have on my hands is an actual deal. I know the way to figuring that out is being able to read the numbers and factor the correct range of the estimated repair cost. Because I know nothing about repair cost, as a way to learn I had the bright idea to use a contractor to help with the estimate in exchange for free advertisement to investors. I was able to find a potential person to work with however, I noticed in the titling for his company it states he is a carpenter. So this leads me to the question, what is the difference between a carpenter and a general contractor? 

P.S. Sorry it took so long to get to the question I’m long winded :)

Hi @Danielle Kirkman A General Contractor is a licensed contractor that is qualified to pull permits within the state he or she is licensed in. If you purchase a property and it has violation or if it is not up to code you will need a licensed General Contractor to pull this permit with the Building department of the municipality. A carpenter is a skilled tradesman that usually works with cutting and shaping wood. I would just ask him if he's a licensed GC. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here