Business Cards - Is it okay to use non real estate related cards?

6 Replies

Hi all,

This may come across as a dumb question but I figured I would ask anyway... I am new to REI and just graduated college in January. Before I graduated, I made a bunch of business cards that corresponded with my school and major so that when I went to different conferences and networking events I could give them to potential employers. My question is now that I am done with school (since graduated received a job) would it be wrong or not make sense to use these same cards when I go to different REI events/meet ups? I don't have a business in place yet for REI and don't plan on creating one until I'm ready to start actively investing. I know I'm probably over thinking it but I would love to get some feedback or advice.

Thanks,

Kevin

Two thoughts: Spend the $9 on Vista print. The card is the way they will remember you. You want them to remember you as a real estate investor, not a recent college grad.
Second, one can survive quite well now without cards. Ask for their cell number and text them your contact info and what you are interested in doing. 
Are you planning to wholesale? That's one place where maybe having a card would be useful.

You’re over thinking. However business cards are cheap so why not have a specific real estate card. It could include your education and what type investing your specialized in. This would show a certain level of commitment to what you do. But at the end of the day it’s a card with your name and phone number on it. If it is well designed and looks professional it will probably work.

I'm planning on doing a buy and hold strategy @Amanda G. . The only reason I am bringing this up is because I have so many of those cards left and I paid a good amount to make them very well designed and professional. You make a great point though. Thanks!

@Jonathan Holmes I agree with your point. Thanks for giving your input. The only thing that's stopping me from doing that is I don't plan on starting my REI business until I have the necessary knowledge, team and I am financially stable. So by going to different meet ups and REI events and giving them a real estate card, wouldn't that be misleading?

Economists have this painful concept called "sunk costs." Some times you have to let go of what something cost to avoid throwing good money after bad.

To be honest business cards are disappearing in my area. If your at the point that you wouldn’t feel comfortable putting “real estate investor” on a business card. You don’t need to worry about having them yet :)

well yes of course!!

People get business cards all the time, If you have to dig in your wallet and see 15 business cards, and one is about dogs running wild and free in the parks ... no one will remember you.

But honestly... I do not believe in business cards. I really see no point in them

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here