Young, Curious and Open Minded!!

8 Replies

Hey Everyone, I’m from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Been following the BiggerPockets community for some time now! Never thought to say anything on here since I was fresh new to the business and did not know much about it. Been interested and wanted to get started in Real Estate for some time now! Just not sure how begin or where to start. Being that I come from a “Rent first” type family and growing up and realizing the cycle we are in! I am determined to break this cycle and build a family foundation we never had of Homeownership!! My mind and ears are open to all views and pieces of knowledge!

Hi @Ernie Watson If you're in a situation where you are able to house hack, I couldn't recommend it more. That's what I did to start out and it really propels you into the real estate game and is a great learning experience before moving onto other properties. Definitely be sure to educate yourself before jumping in though. Read as many books and articles/podcasts as you can so you can be confident that you know what you are doing before diving in. Also don't be afraid to pull the trigger once you have done the education piece. That's the hardest part for most people.

@Ernie Watson Hi Ernie, Welcome to the BiggerPockets forums. Nice to hear from someone starting out. First and foremost, it's always a good idea to get as much education about REI as possible. You've really got to learn the terminology and how to use it to calculate a deal that will cash flow for you. When you are ready to actually look at properties, first determine what kind of investing you are interested in doing because there are options to choose from. If you are not paying by cash, make sure your finances are in order, talk to a few Lenders and above all else get a pre-approval. That way you will know how much you can afford and be able to narrow your search better. Plus knowing the different types of loans you may qualify for is important as some have residency requirements. Remember, you don't have to go it alone. Feel free to reach out to others because you will questioning a lot including what areas have the best potential for positive returns. Pittsburgh is somewhat quirky in that often its not by neighborhood, but by street where you will find the best deals that work for you. And this, my friend, is just the start and a very brief, not an all inclusive, overview. I wish you much success. Everyone here learns every single day as an Investor.

@Ernie Watson And yes many Investors start out househacking as it's a great way to see if you really want to be a landlord. Just check with your Lender on potential residency requirements based upon type of loan you qualify for/choose.

Nothing wrong with renting, far less expensive than home ownership.

Starting out your best option is financial education, Learn to live a frugal life style and save every penny to invest. Being a renter is the easyist way to achieve this.