How do I find contractors

2 Replies

I'm a newbie and looking for insights on how to find contractors for my flip and/or rental property rehab work.

How do I find people who are good, reliable and affordable - when I don't have an existing network to draw upon?  How do I get started?

Everybody talks about "the deal."  And that's great, but once you found "the deal," we need to get the work done!

Thanks in advance!

You could always search a source like Angie's List, Porch, or Houzz. I'm not totally confident in the results and reliability on those sources, though. Since they rely on reviews a lot, you may not have enough data on someone who is new or if you live in an area that isn't well populated. I personally feel that referrals can be great, especially if you get the same referral from multiple people that aren't closely connected. Have you tried asking your real estate agent or attorney who they use? Another good referral source could be your home inspector if you use one. You could also call your local building department and ask them who is pulling permits in your area. I would take this one a step further and try to get a hold of the local building official or inspectors and ask them who they would use. You might also have luck calling the local building supply houses - not Home Depot/Lowe's. They can possibly point you in the right direction. Just be sure to vet whomever you choose if you can.