Votes
Philip Chung
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Out of state investing

Philip Chung
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Jul 11 2018, 18:54

Hello everyone from the BiggerPockets community! 

This is my first post, and I wanted to say I am glad that this forum exists!  

I am currently looking to invest out of state as I live in Chicago, IL, where it is really hard for the numbers to work.  I've already read quite a few books on real estate investing including "long-distance real estate investing" by David Greene (great book by the way), and I learned that investing locally and out of state essentially has the same process thanks to technology.  So, I've decided that Indianapolis, IN was the place I wanted to invest in.  My goal is to find a distressed property around $100k, fix it up, and rent it out.  I would be happy with $300 cash flow per month after all expenses.  I found a pm company I am interested in, and I am still looking for a real estate agent and a lender.  

I am also moving out of my parents house soon, and I am deciding on whether to rent or purchase a duplex/triplex with a 5% conventional loan here in Chicago.  I would probably be cash flowing negative if I were to buy a duplex with a 5% conventional, so I am leaning towards renting somewhere cheaper until I see how the investment property in Indiana pans out.  If all things seem to be good, I can purchase a couple more in IN, and hopefully the CF from the out of state investment properties eventually cover my rent.  Is this an ok plan?

Loading replies...