Need Advice on VA Loans in Texas

5 Replies

Hello, 

My boyfriend and I are trying to buy our first home in Texas. He has a VA loan he has not used. I am a realtor but I am inactive & we are not represented.

I have zero experience with this, I am a baby agent who works mostly with builders and construction. He has zero patience for this and will soon be relocating to Texas for this purchase. 

I am assuming pre-qualification through the VA but before we contact the VA we wanted to see if there are any requirements that should be met? How does this process work? Can anyone help me understand this please?

Originally posted by @Carmen Robertson :

Hello, 

My boyfriend and I are trying to buy our first home in Texas. He has a VA loan he has not used. I am a realtor but I am inactive & we are not represented.

I have zero experience with this, I am a baby agent who works mostly with builders and construction. He has zero patience for this and will soon be relocating to Texas for this purchase. 

I am assuming pre-qualification through the VA but before we contact the VA we wanted to see if there are any requirements that should be met? How does this process work? Can anyone help me understand this please?

May as well have him grab his VA Loan COE since it either takes 2 minutes if the below works, or a week or so the paper way if the below doesn't... so best to find out upfront:

Next step would be to chat with a lender local to the real estate you are buying. @Andrew Postell is in Texas and, if it matters to you, also a veteran. 

@Carmen Robertson thanks for this post.  And thanks for the mention @Chris Mason .  Carmen, are you moving here, renting for a while, then buying?  Or are you buying first? I'm asking because we have a Texas Veteran Land Board here that provides great loans. BUT you do need to be a Texas resident first.  Even if  you don't go the Texas VLB route feel free to PM me and I can provide some advice.  Thanks and welcome to Texas!

Thanks Chris! I actually already live in Texas. I have property here I will retain. This will be a primary residence at first then a He lives in Missouri and will be relocating here. I have a lease end coming up in January and I know the VA lending is a timely process so I wanted to get the jump on things. He is not the paperwork and details kind of guy so this is the part I deal with.

@Carmen Robertson VA doesn’t do the loans, they guarantee them. Banks and lenders do the loans. I have a free online course that goes over the VA loan - if you want message me and I can help. It’s called the Veterans One Academy and you may be able to google it . It’s just me doing a series of webinars but it is highly educational. I also wrote a book you can read called the VA home loan Field manual that is available on Amazon, etc, so let me know what I can do to help... Daniel Lehman USMC Veteran