• Oakland, CA
Votes |
The Art of Jumping Into Real Estate

Tyler Jahnke#2 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Posted Jul 27 2018, 12:13

*HINT*

There is no art. You just have to do it.

Today, I had a conversation with someone while they were analyzing a property. While bringing up crime stats she asked, “Do you think I’m rushing into it with this property? So many things I didn’t consider. I think I am just eager to get started...”

I remember those days. The days of...

”how old is the sewer line?”

“Are the gutters galvanized?”

“What type of soil is the house sitting on?”

You know...the days of analyzing EVERY LITTLE THING. The days commonly known as, “Analysis Paralysis.”

You hear it all the time from @Brandon Turner, @David Greene, @Scott Trench, and @Mindy Jensen.

But, back to her question, “Do you think I’m rushing into it with this property?”

My answer?

Honestly, I can’t answer that question. You'll ultimately have to answer it yourself. At some point you'll have to JUMP IN without knowing everything, makes mistakes, maybe lose some money, learn on the fly, and get better. Otherwise, you're sitting on the bench watching...

I bought My First Property before I "should" have. I was very naive (didn't even know how to properly calculate cash flow...), but was super eager and could see the real opportunity in real estate.

LONG story short, I got burned. But, I got out of it. I walked away. Let that one go. Am now better prepared for the future.

I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything.

Here’s the bottom line: if you think you’re going to learn every little thing about real estate before getting your first deal...you’ll never BE a real estate investor.

Learn from this community, meet connections, find a deal, and jump in.

Best of luck all. Happy investing!

-Tyler

Loading replies...