Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Gene Hakanson
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
What variables do YOU use to evaluate a long-term rental?

Gene Hakanson
  • Denver, CO
Posted Aug 12 2018, 09:28

Wondering if anyone would be willing to share their criteria and variables for evaluating deals? I haven't bought anything yet because I can't seem to find a property that fits the criteria that I've established at anywhere near the asking price. 

So I'm wondering if my expectations are too high, I'm looking in the wrong markets, or I need to find other sources of deals. For duplex/triplex/fourplex, I'm looking for a cash-on-cash return of 12% (all-in price including loan fees, acquisitions costs, repair costs), with 10% for property management, 6-8% vacancy (depending on the market), 10-13% for repairs and capex (depending on the age of the property and initial repairs required), property taxes, plus other expenses unique to the property (owner-paid utilities, landscaping, snow removal, etc.) with 25% down payment, 30-year loan at 5.7%.  

(I am looking forward to the BP How to Evaluate Rental Properties webinar coming up but would also love to hear your experiences. Also, apologies if this question has been asked recently, please point me to the thread!)