• Rental Property Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
Profit split questions

Jack Walker
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Posted Oct 16 2018, 20:23

So I am starting out in real estate, and my mentor(my grandfather) and I just bought our first house to flip. The house down payment was 12k and we are both in 50-50 on both down payment and renovation costs. He has done about a dozen flips over his lifetime and has about 4 rental properties currently as well. I have no prior technical experience in this, I have only read about 3-4 real estate books and listens to probably 60+ episodes of BP podcast. I should also note that I am 21 and can work a lot harder than he can, being 72, and he has a lot more experience and wisdom to share. I assumed when we started the deal that we would be splitting profits 50/50 since we are in equal money, and although he is directing and guiding the process, I am physically working a lot harder. When I mentioned this (being a week into rehabbing) he told me that it was quite unfair to go 50/50 since without him this deal wouldn’t be happening. I understand that even if it was a 99/1 split it would still be worth it for the experience and to say I’ve done my first deal, but since I am in equally money wise, I am wondering what a good split would be. Has anyone been in similar situations? Does anyone have any input? I am not trying to be greedy by any means as I am very grateful to get my hands dirty on this first deal no matter what the split would be, but Im still seeking value as any other person would. Any suggestions?

Loading replies...