Votes
Scott Tennant
  • Flipper/Rehabber
Votes |
Load bearing or fear mongering to get my business

Scott Tennant
  • Flipper/Rehabber
Posted Oct 16 2018, 21:29

Hello!  First time poster here, hoping to become an active member going forward.   I am working on some minor renovations a house I am flipping and ran into some conflicting information from contractors.  I'm hoping to avoid spending more $$, as always.  

The house is a 1971 block, slab on grade with truss hip roof with an L shaped footprint.  I had a contractor in last week who looked at a few walls and told me they are not load bearing, no problem at all to knock them out and move them to change the floorplan slightly.   He was sure that this home has no load bearing interior walls after sticking his head in the attic and looking around the interior and exterior of the home for a while.  So I went to work with a mini sledge to get into the walls, first to check I'd there is a single or double top plate.   It seems that the top plate is a single 2x4, which is another indication of the walls being non load bearing, at least that's what I've been taught.   

Today I had another contractor in, notably less experienced, who all of 5 minutes walking through the house before commenting that I cant remove the walls I had knocked large holes into, as they "have to be load bearing" in his opinion.   

So here I am, not sure who is right, with a handful of confusing photos to hopefully get some experienced advice from the pros.  

I dont see a way to post photos on here, so please stay tuned while I figure it out.  

Loading replies...