Fortune Builders or Renatus - beginner looking to get started

14 Replies

My wife and I are planning to invest in our first property in the next month or so. We will either purchase a property at an auction or do a short sale, etc. We are new at this and since we are doing this with out a realtor or other partners we lack access to contracts, forms, procedures and legal paperwork needed for our first deal.

We know that we want to purchase a property using either a hard money loan or a private lender, rehab it and list is as an airbnb in Providence, RI (where we currently live). After that, will will refinance with a bank and take the lump sum and repair (essential BRRRRing the property). We are extremely confident in the Airbnb model as it has worked for us in our current home for the past year (we own a 2-family home and list the 2nd apartment as a short-term rental).

My wife and I both attended a Fortune Builders workshop last year and where inclined to invest in their Jumpstart program simply for the access to the contracts, forms, legal procedures and their back-end-office system. We also have a friend who invested in the Essentials program thorough Renatus, which essentially offers the same but at $2k investment instead of $9K with Fortune Builders.

Do any of you have any experience with either programs? Is one better than the other? Are they different? And the most important question: Is there any way to get access to these forms, contracts, legal procedures for our first deal, for free or for less than the $2k-$9k investment?

Thank you all so much for your input!

What don't you know how to do that the $9k gets you? That much cash in a down payment does buy $36k worth of a property...

@Luis Barrios one of the podcasts I listen to regularly speaks favorably of Renatus, and I know people who teach for Fortune Builders.

In both cases, when I meet with new investors, I usually tell them, the money you spent was probably not bad, but please do not spend any more, and especially don't sign up for anything with a monthly fee (which is like walking around with an open financial wound each month).

You can usually get just as much information by networking with other investors and asking good questions of an attorney or accountant, whose answers will be customized to your specific needs and situation. And honestly, even if you spent two hours with each (an attorney and CPA) would probably still cost you far less than one of those programs.

I do want to add, since you mentioned auctions, that if you are a beginner I would strongly urge you to be cautious and perhaps reconsider the auction route. It is really not for beginners. The litmus test (in my mind anyway) is, if you are not comfortable doing your own title search (yourself) on a property you're considering bidding on at auction, and fully understanding what you find in that title search, you probably shouldn't be bidding on that property.

Buying a short sale or even REO (bank-owned property, where the bank has already foreclosed, now owns it, and is selling it) are both far better options than a foreclosure auction itself. Though even in the case of REO you want to be careful and read those contracts/agreements carefully (including the terms of the listing agreement) since banks almost always have their own addendums which explicitly override "standard" RI real estate terms, so you want to read it all and probably have your attorney read it all too, before you sign anything on a bank-owned property.

(As an example, it's common to see something saying that if there's a delay in closing because of something on your end, you'll get charged a steep per-day penalty, but if it's a delay due to something on their end, there's no penalty whatsoever - they can usually string you along for months and keep your deposit tied up, with no consequence.)

This post has been removed.

@Luis Barrios I would say dont waste your money on either one. You can get the same information, documents and knowledge by networking with other investors at local REIAs and even here on BP!

As per other request here it is some picture with the other education to to clear out if i got them all ..

Lydia T. Wholesaler from Dallas, Texas

replied 2 days ago@Luis Barrios I would say dont waste your money on either one. You can get the same information, documents and knowledge by networking with other investors at local REIAs and even here on BP!
 I will Say like this and partially agree with you Luis . I am Doing this since 2007. And I can tell you one thing , no mater what you decide to invest in , if you don't invest in your self and diligently apply all the knowledge is a wasted time . However , One thing i found out with the Renatus , Community is important , People are important to sustain you (and i did go to all 3 county's around me REI's Every Monty and i knew them all in the group -  but there were personal goals driven individual and it was had to work-- ..... ) community we meet 5 times a week even more , we have group chats and we push each other by holding each other goal accountable)
   And again DISCLAIMER  i am not saying Renatus is perfect . But from all i try it fill up most of my needs and give me the best chances to succeed 

Don't miss reading this thread: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/92/topics/393064-than-merrill-legit-or-scam

@Luis Barrios why choose to pay for the contracts through some guru program over hiring a realtor?

@Jason D. , @Lydia T. , @Claudiu Peter , @Joseph Birbiglia , and @Anthony Thompson , thank you all for your input! I'm actually working with a realtor friend of mine to find my first deal and am planning on visiting a local real estate meet up tomorrow. I have a friend that has had great experience with Renatus, so if I choose to invest in a program, I'd most likely go with them and purchase their starter program. 

I'm looking to find a property in the next few weeks to a month and turn it into an Airbnb listing. We currently run an Airbnb out of our second apartment from our 2-family home and have been super successful, so we want to scale to one more listing. After we have our second listing, I plan to do my first rehab and flip or focus on wholesaling. I want to set up some more monthly cashflow for me and my wife before switching gear to something that might take more time and money to generate income. 

@Luis Barrios sounds like a good plan. Thanks for following up and letting us know what you ultimately decided on!

Originally posted by @Luis Barrios :

@Jason D. , @Lydia T. , @Claudiu Peter, @Joseph Birbiglia , and @Anthony Thompson , thank you all for your input! I'm actually working with a realtor friend of mine to find my first deal and am planning on visiting a local real estate meet up tomorrow. I have a friend that has had great experience with Renatus, so if I choose to invest in a program, I'd most likely go with them and purchase their starter program. 

I'm looking to find a property in the next few weeks to a month and turn it into an Airbnb listing. We currently run an Airbnb out of our second apartment from our 2-family home and have been super successful, so we want to scale to one more listing. After we have our second listing, I plan to do my first rehab and flip or focus on wholesaling. I want to set up some more monthly cashflow for me and my wife before switching gear to something that might take more time and money to generate income. 

Originally posted by @Luis Barrios :

@Jason D. , @Lydia T. , @Claudiu Peter, @Joseph Birbiglia , and @Anthony Thompson , thank you all for your input! I'm actually working with a realtor friend of mine to find my first deal and am planning on visiting a local real estate meet up tomorrow. I have a friend that has had great experience with Renatus, so if I choose to invest in a program, I'd most likely go with them and purchase their starter program. 

Looking Forward Luis for your honest opinion ..

These are mostly services for people who haven't run into Bigger Pockets.

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here