How much startup capital is enough to make say 50k/yr profit?

1 Reply

Hi everyone, im new to the real estate subject and everything about it really. This is my first post here as i'm trying to see what I can learn from people who have been doing real estate for a long time. Over the course of the next 2-3 years I will have about 500k or close to it, and everywhere I am looking says that 8-12% ROI is good for a rental property. My goal is to be able to make 50k/yr profit from rentals.

Does anyone have any advice, realistic viewpoints, or anything like that they may be able to help me out with?

First, you are not investing in the stock market, so forget about % ROI as a way of measuring good/bad returns. By doing so you're limiting yourself to a very small window of opportunity within REI, and missing out on all that exists in REI.

Second, the answer to your questions of, "...how much to start..." is actually $0.  However, if you are looking at the $500k you mentioned, when you find the Micro-markets that match your plan, and blend the MM and your Plan with the best strategy for that Micro-market and plan, it shouldn't take you more than a couple of years to achieve what you're looking for (or sooner).