How Important is a Construction Supervisor

6 Replies

Hi All,

I am looking to build out of state and wanted to know if any of you have experience using a construction supervisor? Was it needed? How much did it cost?

Thank you !

@Miriam Levitz I would hire a General Contractor and let them do the supervision/hiring of all the trades, which just leaves you to manage the GC. You could try to strike a deal with your property manager and see if they'd be willing to stop by the property every once in awhile to make sure things are staying on track.  A GC will be more expensive (the cost will depend on the scope of work) but it will save you a lot of headaches being out of state if you find the right contractor. Try to get some recommendations from other investors in the area on what GCs they'd recommend. 

know here like to share the own gc which i find it crazy and not friendly at all

@Miriam Levitz

What's the scope size of your construction project? The role of the GC on a small project is very different than the role of the GC on a big project. 

Disclaimer: While I’m an attorney licensed to practice in PA, I’m not your attorney. What I wrote above does not create an attorney/client relationship between us. I wrote the above for informational purposes. Do not rely on it for legal advice. Always consult with your attorney before you rely on the above information.

@Miriam Levitz

For just a single family home, you'll probably need to rely on your GC to do it. The challenge is that your GC --- in this context --- would probably be doing most of the work while subbing out the speciality trades (e.g. eletric, HVAC, etc.). Whether they can manage that depends on how good the GC is as a project manager --- the fact that they are good at their underlying trade doesn't mean that they know how to manage. 

Unfortunately, small contractors that can properly manage the other trades while doing their own work will likely be in high demand and thus expensive. If you are looking at this from an investment perspective, that may make your returns non-existent. If that's the case, you would need to act as your own project manager/GC. Not sure if you are willing to do that or not. 

Disclaimer: While I’m an attorney licensed to practice in PA, I’m not your attorney. What I wrote above does not create an attorney/client relationship between us. I wrote the above for informational purposes. Do not rely on it for legal advice. Always consult with your attorney before you rely on the above information.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here