Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Jing Chai
Votes |
Should I start out by doing a non-accredited syndication?

Jing Chai
Posted Jun 28 2019, 10:38

I attended a real estate investing meetup and was presented a deal for a syndication on an apartment. The minimum is $50,000 share.

Here is a brief summary of the deal:

-646 Unit Class B Multifamily in Georgia 

-$63.5M purchase price

-3 year hold

-8% perf, 16% projected IRR

-1.53x investment multiple

Currently I am a non-accredited investor and have the $50k available, however that represents over 60% of my liquid cash reserve. For someone starting out, would a commercial syndication be a good way to begin investing?

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Hogan
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jun 28 2019, 11:22

That's a great way to get started and learn. However, I suggest if you're serious about being an LP investor in Mfam; underwrite 100 offerings (maybe 50 if you're an experienced investor as you seem to be). Do that and you'll gain "fingertip feel" of what a good deal looks like. 

User Stats

Votes
Jing Chai
Votes |
Replied Jun 28 2019, 13:48

Thanks Andrew! I will request the details of of the deal to take a closer look at everything.

IRA Club  logo
IRA Club
|
Sponsored
An IRA Administrator Flat fees. No percentages. Grow your retirement fund: Invest in real estate with a self-directed IRA

User Stats

Votes
Taylor L.
Pro Member
  • Multifamily and Self Storage Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Multifamily and Self Storage Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Jun 28 2019, 14:15

Agreed with @Andrew Hogan. Evaluating a larger number of deals will help you a lot in the long run.

I also recommend you thoroughly evaluate the sponsors. I can send you a few resources on that.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Powell
  • Sugar Land, TX
Votes |
  • Sugar Land, TX
Replied Jun 28 2019, 14:26

Jing,

Some questions I might have is: How much money is the sponsor putting into the deal (aka skin in the game)? Do they have an excellent track record? 

Are you getting cash distributions?  How often?

Mike 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 28 2019, 15:03

I have seen better numbers on crowdfunding sites with much less investment.  Do you think you can get to accredited?  

Most are showing 9% return with 1.9x on equity now

User Stats

Votes
Alina Trigub
Pro Member
  • Glen Rock, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Glen Rock, NJ
Replied Jun 28 2019, 15:05

@Jing Chai

My main question is: were you presented a syndication deal by someone you already know? If you're non-accredited investor, then you can only be presented deals if:

1) the "presenter" has pre-existing relationships with you

AND

2) can identify you as sophisticated via SEC definition. 

User Stats

Votes
Charles Worth
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied Jun 28 2019, 15:11

@Jing Chai

I would look at it very very critically. In that size range right now good deals are very hard to come by and I can think of very very few that will take a non-acred because it increases the risk by a lot in terms of compliance etc. unless they really do know you well.

The metrics given really don't mean much I can make any old thing go to 16% IRR, the important thing are the items behind it. Also, careful of classes. I see a lot of stuff "class b" that is really C.

User Stats

Votes
Jing Chai
Votes |
Replied Jun 28 2019, 15:23

@Alina Trigub, the sponsor of the meetup is a syndicator that had a table at the meetup event. During the break I walked up to learn more about what they did and they shared some of their projects and new projects they were accepting investors. The group's syndications are compliant with Rule 506 of Regulation D of the SEC Act.

User Stats

Votes
Jing Chai
Votes |
Replied Jun 28 2019, 15:28

@Charles Worth, really appreciate the advice! I will do my due diligent and evaluate everything before making such a large commitment.

User Stats

Votes
Alina Trigub
Pro Member
  • Glen Rock, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Glen Rock, NJ
Replied Jun 28 2019, 15:34
Jing,
As long as they have pre-existing relationship with you before, it's all good. 

Originally posted by @Jing Chai:

@Alina Trigub, the sponsor of the meetup is a syndicator that had a table at the meetup event. During the break I walked up to learn more about what they did and they shared some of their projects and new projects they were accepting investors. The group's syndications are compliant with Rule 506 of Regulation D of the SEC Act.

User Stats

Votes
Jing Chai
Votes |
Replied Jun 28 2019, 15:38

@Tom Makinen, best case scenario is I can get accredited by 2021 if I can make $200k this year and next year. If net worth took into primary residence it would really help as my primary house is easily worth $1.2M+. 

User Stats

Votes
John Corey
  • London
Votes |
  • London
Replied Jun 28 2019, 16:01
Originally posted by @Jing Chai:

It sounds like there was no pre-existing relationship. Is that correct? 

IntellCRE logo
IntellCRE
|
Sponsored
Supercharge Your Multifamily Investing with AI Source, screen, evaluate, underwrite, and act on hundreds of deals with data and confidence!

User Stats

Votes
Jason Yarusi
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Murfreesboro, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Murfreesboro, TN
Replied Jun 28 2019, 17:17

@Alina Trigub @John Corey are both trying to warn you about the implications of investing in a deal where there is not a pre existing relationship. I would also suggest if someone’s hope to raise money for a 650 unit apartment building involves setting up a table at a meetup and hope then that should give you all the investment guidance you need on this investment. If you are looking to invest in a syndication start identifying who are the players doing them and introduce yourself so you can understand what their investment criteria and their philosophy and how that relates to your investment objectives.

User Stats

Votes
Todd Dexheimer#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St. Paul, MN
Votes |
Todd Dexheimer#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St. Paul, MN
Replied Jun 28 2019, 20:22

Investing in a syndication is a great way to get started, however, investing 60% of your liquid capital, especially with someone you don't know is not a great idea. 

This person presented a deal at a meetup and if they are taking non-accredited investors they are likely breaking SEC rules. That is a red flag to me for a few reasons. First, it screams novice. An experienced sponsor should know that it is not legal to publicly advertise. Second, taking non-accredited investors, or even accredited investors that you just met is not legal. There are some nice sized fines that this sponsor could be hit with if they get caught. That's not who I would do business with.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Manz
  • HVAC Tech
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Votes |
  • HVAC Tech
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Replied Jun 28 2019, 21:50

What determines whether you are an accredited vs non-accredited

Investor?

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Kong
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Jun 28 2019, 22:31

@Kevin Manz You basically have to make a boatload of money or have a huge amount lying around. If you lose a huge amount, it wont be the end of the world for you. I think 200k a year or a mil in assets not including ur house.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 29 2019, 00:05

@Jing Chai  How about adding your spouse's income, maybe that will get over the cliff?  I say this because EM has an apartment now with a 5 year min hold., much higher numbers than what you are looking at.  You can start with $10K instead of $50K.  Heck, they even have a 2-4 year building lease that is expected to carry nearly 12% in return, but no equity though.

User Stats

Votes
Jing Chai
Votes |
Replied Jun 29 2019, 09:21

@Jason Yarusi

Thank you for your advice, really appreciate the perspective you’re giving me! It’s great to have someone look out for someone like me that’s starting out.

User Stats

Votes
Jing Chai
Votes |
Replied Jun 29 2019, 09:43

@Tom Makinen, unfortunately I'm single at the moment but appreciate you letting me know about the EM deal!

User Stats

Votes
Trevor Ewen
  • Weehawken, NJ
Votes |
  • Weehawken, NJ
Replied Jun 29 2019, 09:53

@Jing Chai

In regards to the question you stated in the thread title: I think it's a great way to get started.

This particular deal appears to have some legal concerns that others have raised. Additionally, a 3 year turnaround seems very quick for this kind of return. Usually, stabilization can take up to a year depending what kind of issues the building is experiencing. If the building is not experiencing issues, then I question the return numbers. 

Granted, I don't know the specifics. But, for a variety of reasons mentioned, I would continue shopping.

User Stats

Votes
Theo Hicks
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jun 29 2019, 13:14

Hi Jing,

It depends on your level of risk tolerance and how much time you have to spend on your business. There is most upside by using that $50k to buy your own deals. However, there is more risk and more of a time commitment associated with doing your own deals. Whereas syndications are completely passive and less risky since you are plugging into a well oiled machine.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 29 2019, 14:31

Remember some of the commercial deal it is actually a running business, so there could be more upside (and risk).  What's not to say a hotel will suddenly have more occupancy due to some new things going on in town for the next couple of years.  Rent is good, but it is usually stable and don't fluctuate too much.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Ivan Barratt
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jun 30 2019, 10:47

646 units in one place presents its own challenges. Many operators won't go after these larger deals b/c of too many units in one place.

Keep liquid and underwrite more deals before doing one.