Question For CPA's Who Chose Real Estate Tax

4 Replies

Hello everyone,

I recently graduated college, with a Bachelors in Accounting. I am also taking a Masters program that will allow me to sit for the CPA Exam. I have a huge passion for investing in real estate and I think specializing in real estate tax would be extremely beneficial for me. 

My question is how would I 'specialize' in real estate tax? I would love to own my own tax business one day where I could help other real estate investors with their taxes, and questions or concerns. I am extremely excited to hear feedback from other CPA's on BP, on ways I could gain more knowledge or learn how to specialize in this particular field! Thank you in advance!

Study study study. What you don't know CAN and WILL hurt your clients. Carry good E&O. Tax is something you truly should have a mentor in. I'd recommend getting industry experience under someone before going solo. It is not for the faint of heart. It can be a very stressful field. I've been in business a long time and I'm still learning new things.

You need to be able to research. If you don't know how to do research tax is NOT a field for you.