Votes
Brian Cheng
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Hard to find deals that give any positive CoCROI

Brian Cheng
  • Houston, TX
Posted Jul 13 2019, 15:59

I just started to practice analyzing deals ( used up the free 5 trials for rental calculator, so basically made an excel using old youtube videos on the 4 block technique figuring out CoCROI. )  What i've realized for my area ( Houston, TX) is basically anything over 130k basically produces 0 or negative CoCROI because ultimately your rent is the total income you get and subtract expenses(which usually adds up to around 700-800 bucks be conservative) and your mortgage(which would be around 500-600 bucks a month for a 100k-130k loan)

most of the homes near Houston average (base on craigslist, rentometer, realtor.com) 1300-1600 on rent for a traditional 3/2 SFH. Which means if i pay anything over 100k (assuming home's move-in ready, with everything function, even throw in a conservative 5000 cosmetic rehab cost) my CoCROI is already in the negatives..In my case my current goal is to move out of apartment renting so i can start owning some equity, so the ROI is not determining my buy, but I just want to know the general consensus on this matter. Is this the reason why people are saying there's almost no good deals right now because unless you can scoop up a home for pennies on the dollar as a fixxer-upper most likely, it's very hard for you get any sort of decent return? (CoCROI)

Loading replies...