What should I do to get started?

4 Replies

I’m 24 years old, and have been working in real estate for 5 years now on a team of realtors. I’m wanting to get into the investing/development side but I’m unsure of how to get started. Does anyone have any tips on how to get started? Should I find a mentor?

It depends on your goals. If you want to build a new job for yourself, you could go for flips, wholesaling or developments. If you want to work your way out of having to work for money, then you might consider note investing or rentals. 

Go to your local real estate meetup and talk with people - you might find someone there who's willing to help you out. See if you can provide value for someone who's investing in a way that looks appealing to you.

Read the book How to Invest in Real Estate. Save up some cash. Learn about house hacking and do it. For a lot of people, that's the single best way to get started.

@Kellen Webster drive for dollars man, low money, or no money. Drive for dollars. Get to know your area. When you see a vacant or distressed property, if safe to leave a note on the door you never know someone might come by to cut the lawn or check the mail. Talk to neighbors they usually want to get rid of any eyesores in the neighborhood and they might give you info on the owner. Ive done that and got a deal from the neighbors you never know. Go to your local town hall and pay for the tax delinquent lists ive gotten list for as little as ten dollars and skip trace the numbers. If low money search them on white pages. Then cold call people. You have to get used to interacting with home owners and being confident talking to sellers on the phone.