Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Austin Burrows
Votes |
Looking to gain some experience in the field prior to investing

Austin Burrows
Posted Aug 15 2019, 15:57

Hello all, I am a young college graduate with minimum professional experience. My goal, like most of you here, is to become financially independent and not work for a paycheck. Because I haven't been in the work force for a long time, my capital is slim to none. I would like some advise on what would be the best way to learn and experience the industry (as a full-time job) while making money to save up some capital, for example, obtaining real estate agent license and working as an agent vs. becoming loan officer to learn the ins and outs of how loans work, etc. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! 

User Stats

Votes
Abel Curiel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Replied Aug 15 2019, 18:04
Originally posted by @Austin Burrows:

Hello all, I am a young college graduate with minimum professional experience. My goal, like most of you here, is to become financially independent and not work for a paycheck. Because I haven't been in the work force for a long time, my capital is slim to none. I would like some advise on what would be the best way to learn and experience the industry (as a full-time job) while making money to save up some capital, for example, obtaining real estate agent license and working as an agent vs. becoming loan officer to learn the ins and outs of how loans work, etc. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! 

Hello Austin,

If you are prepared to go 6-9 months without earning a paycheck, being an agent to start off might work. Granted, you'd still have to land in a brokerage with an environment committed to your growth and success. Otherwise, you'll 'just be given a desk and a phone' as they say. 

Limited professional experience could make it difficult for you to get a salaried position within the industry - i.e. administrative asst. However, it doesn't hurt to ask local professionals if there is anything you can help them with.

If you're social media savvy or have photography/videography experience, there could be a way for you to help local professionals (i.e. realtors, loan officers) build their brands while you simultaneously pick their brain. 

Best of luck to you moving forward!

Abel

• Real Estate Agent NY (#10401295960)

REbuild Team - eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Austin Burrows
Votes |
Replied Aug 15 2019, 19:52

Abel, thank you so much for taking your time to reply. I am ok living without paychecks for couple months as long as I can learn and experience the real estate industry (especially from investing perspective). I will def keep looking to see where I can gain the most insight. Thank you. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes