User Stats

Votes
Jael Castillo
Votes |
I want a refund for a mentorship program

Jael Castillo
Posted Aug 29 2019, 09:15

Hi all,

I’d really appreciate the help and guidance. I got offered the opportunity to work in La Jolla, which consists of luxury homes. I was advised to take the deal since to get into those inner circles I was told it was hard, and that was my way in.

But I don’t get a good feeling thus far about the whole thing.

And I was wondering what’s the best way to get a refund for the mentorship program since I haven’t started it yet, and maybe even the classes they offer since I’ve only taken one but didn’t leave feeling good about the course—I didn’t learn anything, if at all.

User Stats

Votes
Jake S.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Minnesota
Votes |
  • Minnesota
Replied Aug 29 2019, 09:51

Did you read the agreement upon signing up? Is there a refund period?

User Stats

Votes
Jael Castillo
Votes |
Replied Aug 29 2019, 09:52

A refund clause is actually not in the document. Is that good or bad?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Aug 29 2019, 12:35

No refund clause would be bad for you.....as in one is not offered.  How on earth would we possibly have any idea what your chances for a refund are not knowing what your agreement says or which shyster organization you signed up with?

Best optimistic guess....your chances are very slim.

User Stats

Votes
Danielle Wolter
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Aug 29 2019, 12:44

Who advised you to take this mentorship "opportunity?" I find the best way into inner circles is just meeting people. Go where they are, introduce yourself, etc. You don't need a mentorship program to do this. But it sounds like you are already realizing this. Doesn't sound like your options for getting a refund are good with no refund clause, but I'm no lawyer. 

User Stats

Votes
Jael Castillo
Votes |
Replied Aug 29 2019, 12:45

This is the document. I recognize it says no refunds, but despite that. Does anyone know if you can get out of said contract. Via say, quality dispute over the content material from the merchant?

User Stats

Votes
Donald Robers
  • Kenosha, WI
Votes |
  • Kenosha, WI
Replied Aug 30 2019, 07:56

@Jael Castillo - Though I cannot say that Coastal Pacific Realty put a lot of thought into their program name (A Realty Group"? Seriously?) it looks to my layman's eye that they were careful not to promise you anything in writing except vague references to "materials" and "time" in the last 2 paragraphs.

As an aside, you should blank out the personal info on that application/contract.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 30 2019, 08:31

That's not as bad as I figured it would be. It looks like you are a brand new independent agent, and this is an agreement for more senior agents to assist you with your first three closings, and some training sessions?

I doubt you can get out of it, but if you already paid, may as well stay with it since it clearly says no refunds.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Aug 30 2019, 08:35
Originally posted by @Donald Robers:

@Jael Castillo - Though I cannot say that Coastal Pacific Realty put a lot of thought into their program name (A Realty Group"? Seriously?) it looks to my layman's eye that they were careful not to promise you anything in writing except vague references to "materials" and "time" in the last 2 paragraphs.

As an aside, you should blank out the personal info on that application/contract.

Done. OP, you can repost the contract if you like but please block out personally identifying information for both you and the seller.