Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Danni Catambay
Votes |
House hack locally or BRRRR out of state?

Danni Catambay
Posted Oct 22 2019, 07:51

Hi Bigger Pocketers,

I'm a new investor trying to make a whole bunch of things work all at once and I'd like to borrow your wisdom to help choose some priorities.

About me: I just changed careers to my dream job (yay!) but the pay is poor and I'm trying to supplement income with rental properties. I have plenty of cash saved for a down payment, but my own personal risk preferences means that I would like to keep my first real estate purchase under $200K. I am living in an over priced miserable apartment and I would like to get out of it ASAP.

About my local market: The area I live in (Asheville, NC) is a tourist/retirement hot spot. That means that median home prices are a solid $100K above what median incomes can afford. It also means that a "cash flowing" property makes about .75% of its purchase price in rent. Most homes under $230K are mobile homes, tiny homes, or in such a state of disrepair as to not qualify for conventional financing. A typical MLS listing might be a 1930's 2/1 for $160K with an estimated market rent of $1200 and at least one structural issue (leaking/cracked foundation, expired roof, insufficient septic, old wiring)

HOWEVER! In nearby Greenville, SC there are a host of properties that are newer, nicer, cheaper, and more in line with what a typical 1% rental property might present. Just a cursory search the other day turned up a foreclosure Zestimated at $95K with a market rent estimate of $1150/mo.

My goal is to take my chunk of cash, which is sitting in the bank doing NOTHING for me since I neither trust the stock market nor have the patience/spare nerves to deal with the government's HORRENDOUS treasury direct website, and make it start producing income for me as soon as possible. The way I see my choices now are:

A. House hack a local property that I would otherwise consider a bad investment save for the rent savings that I would make with it.
B. Continue over paying for rent, but buy an investment property out of state with some kind of creative financing and a big down payment, but which cash flows nicely and also gives me a solid COC return.

By my numbers, *if* I can find a non-gut-job 3/2 or better locally, I can reasonably expect to make $1100-$1300/mo renting two rooms and to pay $850-950/mo for conventional financing ($170-190K purchase price, around $30K down). Subtract $100/mo for utilities and another, say $150/mo for maintenance and that gives me a NOI of -$100 (worst case) to $200/mo. So by itself, not the best investment, but once you include the $650/mo I save in rent you get a range of

House hack cash flow increase: $550-$850/mo average.

The numbers look great, but the key takeaway here is IF. So far in a month of searching I've found exactly ONE property that could make these numbers work. I put an offer on another two days ago that would make the numbers work and it was $40K below asking price and roundly rejected.

Now, when I consider investing out of state what I come up with (generally) is that I could, probably within a month or two, finance and own a $130K house generating $1300/mo in rental income. I'd have to finance it however investors finance single family buy-and-holds for which they do not qualify for conventional financing, but I imagine that's a "how" not an "if" question. Let's say I have to finance it at 5% on $110K with private money or seller financing. That puts my payment at $770/mo. Now my NOI is $1200, but my cash flow is $1200-770 = $430.

Out of state cash flow increase: $430/mo expected.

So either way I'm making money over letting my cash rot in a nearly-no-interest savings account, but in the house hack scenario I don't know how long it will be until something functional shows up -- could be months while in the out of state investment I could own something almost right away, but I'd be stuck paying rent for a miserable apartment and would have little ability to control my living situation OR the rental property.

So what would you do? I can suffer a lot if I know it's going to serve my goals. I'm leaning towards house hacking because I think it accelerates my savings towards property number 2 and gets me out of throwing money out my proverbial apartment window, but the lack of options is leaving me antsy and frustrated. Would love to hear your input.

Thx

Loading replies...