SoCal - What's your experience with permitting existing room SFH?

5 Replies

Hi there, 

I'm diving into real estate investing and found a property that the city has it listed as a 2 bedroom. The house has 3 bedrooms and the build looks pretty good. The city planning dept says I need to draft a plan for the 3rd bedroom to get it updated to a 3 bdr. 

Have you gone through that process? Did you need an architect or could a draftsman do it?

Thanks a lot!

@John Negron what is your plan for the property?  Flip or hold?  How old is the property?  A lot of times with somewhat newer homes the build is actually permitted but the builder got lazy and only submitted one floorplan so floorplans with an option for an extra bedroom or 3rd car garage get recorded incorrectly.

Originally posted by @Aaron K. :

@John Negron what is your plan for the property?  Flip or hold?  How old is the property?  A lot of times with somewhat newer homes the build is actually permitted but the builder got lazy and only submitted one floorplan so floorplans with an option for an extra bedroom or 3rd car garage get recorded incorrectly.

The property was built in the 1920s. I initially was planning on flipping but since there's an ADU that's 80% done. This might be a BRRR opportunity. If it was recorded incorrectly wouldn't you still need the 3 bedroom floor plan to get that changed? If you know anyone that could draft the plan that would be greatly appreciated.

Promotion
MyRentSource
Property Management
#1 Turnkey Property Management Solution in Atlanta since 2006
Turnkey Solution with Tenant Guarantee, no up charges on repairs, extensive tenant screening...
Find Out More!

@John Negron what I was talking about applies more to post 1970s construction so it wouldn't apply in your case, if you are just going to BRRRR you really don't need to do anything if you plan to resell and want a permitted 3 bedroom it might be more trouble than it is worth depending on when it was added, if it even was added.

Originally posted by @Aaron K. :

@John Negron what I was talking about applies more to post 1970s construction so it wouldn't apply in your case, if you are just going to BRRRR you really don't need to do anything if you plan to resell and want a permitted 3 bedroom it might be more trouble than it is worth depending on when it was added, if it even was added.

Thanks a lot for the advice. The city said once the plan is submitted they grant a provisional and then some weeks later inspect.