Appreciation rates

9 Replies

Where can I find how much appreciation has gone up/down in certain states/cities?

Any sites that will provide me this information? I can not find any that I can trust. I have found some, but I am not sure whether or not the information is legit.

Now statewide would be tricky and not much help since real estate is a local beast, but for citywide analysis I would contact a realtor in the area and ask them to pull a Current Market Analysis (CMA) for all closed listing for the last 12 months and then from 12-24 months and then from 24-36 months. Compare the data and voila, appreciation rate for the last three years.

Ryan,

Isn't there anywhere online one can get this kind of info? I know for instance you can go to chicagotribune.com/homes and look up the last price any property has sold for in the Chicago area. You'd think all sales are recorded so should be available. It's too bad that info doesn't appear to be at ones finger tips like financial market info.

Now if you could access all the data and information you wanted about local real estate, why would any of us need real estate agents? The Information Age is here, but there are those out there that might lose their job or at least a major part of their income if all the information was freely available. These groups of people have a vested interest in keeping some of this information under lock and key.

You know there was a time when everyone used a full service broker to buy/sell stock and it would cost you like $100.00, and info was nowhere near as available as it is now. What a racket that was.

So, do you think it's a good idea for every serious real-estate investor to get a re license just to get access to info? I feel blind.

No, I don't think that is necessary. Now I do think it is necessary to at least network with a realtor to get access to the MLS. I would recommend finding an agent that will just let you have their password so you can access it yourself, but if you don't find one that will give you their access I would at least use an agent to pull comps.

Originally posted by "Robert1":
Ryan,

Isn't there anywhere online one can get this kind of info? I know for instance you can go to chicagotribune.com/homes and look up the last price any property has sold for in the Chicago area. You'd think all sales are recorded so should be available. It's too bad that info doesn't appear to be at ones finger tips like financial market info.

That's what I was thinking too...