First Time Home Buyer, but Already Own a Home?

3 Replies

Hi, 

I am a 24-year-old recent college grad living and working in Dallas, Texas. When I was about 18, my parents bought a house in my name. My parents paid cash, and the home was set for me to move in after college. However, my job after college took me to Dallas, Texas and the home is too far for me to reasonably drive daily. Ideally I would like to find a duplex in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area and finance, but I am worried I may not be able to take advantage of first time buyer programs because I technically already have a house. Does anyone have a similar experience or any insight into this? 

FYI: I intend to live in the duplex while I finance - or at least for a few years.

Any help is appreciated!

Hi @John McCurley ! Welcome to BP! That's a good question. If you are on title to the property, than that would be considered your 1st home, even if it was purchased in cash. The lender would be able to see this when searching for title. If you haven't been on title in the last 3 years on a property, you'd be considered a 1st time homebuyer.

That being said, while the 1st time homebuyer programs are nice for purchases, there are several programs that are beneficial for multifamily house hacks and don't require that you be a 1st time homebuyer. These can include grants, FHA financing, special program conventional loans, etc.

Welcome to BiggerPockets! Truly nice to meet you. Good luck going forward! 😁

What you might consider is refinance the house you have in you name to buy duplex. Then have rental from both

@John McCurley most "Downpayment Assistance Programs" (DAPs) and/or "First Time Homebuyer" programs will have restrictions on people who already own a home. Meaning, a DAP may not have a requirement that you be a "first time homebuyer" but may not provide assistance if you already own a home. As suggested above, this doesn't mean you can't get a loan though. It would just mean that you would get a normal loan. For multi-family (2-4 unit properties) a standard FHA loan requires 3.5% down which isn't too bad. And also as suggested above, maybe taking some money out of that property that you already own might help you get any necessary downpayment/closing cost money that you may need. You certainly still have very good options before you. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here