• Rental Property Investor
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
Strategy for buying my first income property

Calogero Fucarino
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Posted Aug 10 2020, 07:25

After years of reading, learning, discussing, and planning.. I’m ready to pull the trigger on my first income property!

Well... I have some more planning to do. Quick background on me: I’m from the greater Grand Rapids, Michigan area. I’ve flipped my first home for a $55k profit and sunk it all into my current family home (this was all before I started learning about RE investing). So to get my money back, I’m in the process of refinancing and will have about $60-$70k to play with, pending the appraisal.

My current strategy to maximize every dollar I have is to hunt for a fixer upper or, more realistically, a duplex to house hack so I can get a primary loan on it. While moving out, I plan on renting out my current family home (estimated cash flow $500-600 per month). By following this strategy I will end up with two income properties from the $55k profit I made three years ago.

Does this strategy sound realistic? Or am I biting off more than I could chew by starting out with two income properties? Also if you have any advice or tips on the legality of pulling this off, it’d be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Cal

Loading replies...