Votes |
Opinions on Home Depot/Lowes remodeling Kitchen/Bath

Wendell Butler
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Posted Mar 10 2021, 09:37

Hello everyone!

I am just wondering everyone's opinion on using Home Depot/Lowes or something similar to quickly redo kitchen/baths. I am military so I can utilize a nice discount from them, even though I know they contract out and probably charge more than normal contractors.

Just curious on how well they do, timeliness, quality, pricings and if it's worth looking at for a bid. I have also heard if you find cheaper prices and bring it back to them, they will beat almost anyone.

I will install the kitchen cabinets myself - not the granite. Either way how is the labor costs? (curious for the future when I won't be doing the labor here and there).

I am all ears! Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Mar 10 2021, 10:53
I think I can give you a pretty good comparison because we've used a variety of sources. We've used Home Depot and Lowe's kitchen design, cabinets and granite for homes we've flipped and BRRR'd. We've also used a local cabinet shop that deals with a mid-range cabinet manufacturer out of the southern US and we've used a local very high end custom cabinet maker for our own personal kitchen remodel that we just completed recently. We've installed the big box store cabinets ourselves, used their service for granite installation, and we've had it all installed by pros when it came to our own kitchen. The differences are somewhat surprising. We used a 2nd tier (so not the least expensive) cabinets from Lowe's and Home Depots. They installed easily, were well built and look very nice. We used their granite installation. The price was right, though selection was limited. With the first installation, they cut a hole on the sink incorrectly and wanted to do a slab-dab job of "fixing it." Luckily, we had someone there who put their foot down and insisted they go back to the warehouse and re-cut the slab correctly. This cost us a delay of 2 weeks, but it wasn't a big deal because we had plenty of other things we were working on at the time so it didn't affect our overall timeline. We recently completed a kitchen with cabinets from a local shop. They looked nice on their floor and the price was right. Honestly, we just went there because we kept having a hard time getting an appointment with the kitchen designer at HD. Price was comparable, shipping was pretty quick - 4 weeks, which is not bad at all during COVID. But they were a nightmare to install, we had issues with the soft close on several of the drawers, and the interiors looked cheap with the lamination peeling in several spots that weren't super noticeable but will probably be a problem over time. It just didn't end up being a better product or value than the HD cabinets. We did order the granite for that one from HD and the install went flawlessly this time and was surprisingly quick. For our own kitchen we went with a high end custom shop. It's not always true that you get what you pay for. I am very surprised and disappointed in their workmanship. For the cost, it should definitely be better. The paint on the base cabinets chips easily. We gave them the spec for the built in microwave that goes in the island but they cut the opening wrong. It literally does not fit any microwave on the market so we're trying to figure out what to do next. And little things like drawers installed off kilter. Honestly, we had fewer issues with the HD cabinets we installed ourselves. So, bottom line, in your situation I wouldn't hesitate to use HD or Lowe's. I like their free kitchen design because they think of all the little things that are hard to plan for and it gives you pricing you can use to run your numbers. Installation is going to be hit or miss, though, and you don't have the option of choosing which installer you want to use. Sometimes they just have one and that's what you get. Hope this helps!