User Stats

Votes
Cherrishe Brown
Votes |
AC condenser protection/storage during vacancy

Cherrishe Brown
Posted Jun 7 2021, 10:41

Hello,

I am a first-time OOS rental property investor, (closing is this Friday) in KCMO. Property was supposed to have a tenant in it through the end of this month but that changed due to a variety of circumstances. Now the property will be vacant until the beginning of July and the AC is not caged. I am worried. I am thinking about just having the condenser removed and stored in the house until I arrive? Have any of you dealt with such an issue?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Kim
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 7 2021, 11:35

I believe it might be cheaper to have the AC unit caged outside. It costs more to reinstall and add refrigerant after installation. Also, cage will last forever and never worry when it's vacant in the future. I don't know how bad an area your rental is located but they will enter the property regardless of AC unit present or not if they want to steal and feel desperate.

User Stats

Votes
Cherrishe Brown
Votes |
Replied Jun 8 2021, 04:17

@Chris Kim You make a good point on the cage. I will look into doing that. If anyone sees this and knows of a local installer please PM me!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Marc Edwards
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs, MO
Replied Jun 8 2021, 12:22

Yep Chris is correct. I just sent over some info on a cage and also a company that builds them. Let's stay in touch!

User Stats

Votes
Conte Cuttino
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 15 2022, 01:20

I had a cage and they still cut through that and stole my Condenser 🤬. Depending on the area you may want to put a ring camera up specially one for the condenser. Let me know what cage you used. (Memphis, TN property)

User Stats

Votes
James Wachob
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Memphis, TN
Replied May 17 2022, 14:54

@Conte Cuttino that is a shame.

I cage ALL of my AC units. This photos is from a $300,000+ home that I renovated in an upscale neighborhood. The reason when an AC unit is stolen it's usually someone in that industry. What use would the neighbor have for an AC?

User Stats

Votes
Conte Cuttino
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 17 2022, 18:16
Quote from @James Wachob:

@Conte Cuttino that is a shame.

I cage ALL of my AC units. This photos is from a $300,000+ home that I renovated in an upscale neighborhood. The reason when an AC unit is stolen it's usually someone in that industry. What use would the neighbor have for an AC?

That certainly makes a whole lot of sense.