Looking for Advice and Core Four: GA, OH, OK, AR

9 Replies

My wife and I are out-of-state, fledgling buy and hold investors ready to jump in with both feet. I am retired military and she is active, which is why we are interested in long-distance investing and could use some advice in the markets we have identified. We are looking into Augusta, GA.; Little Rock, AR; Lawton, OK.; and Dayton, OH and would love to hear any advice about up and coming areas or no-go areas. We are in the team building phase now so any advice on the "core four" is also very welcome! We plan to use the BRRRR strategy to build our portfolio and recycle capital, but are also open to multi-family deals.

@Jacob Wear

First off, thanks for both of your service.  As a prior military man myself I appreciate you.  Second, congrats on getting started.  

I'm a local investor, construction company owner, and realtor in the Dayton area. I specialize in OOS investors in many ways. I have a few JV deals with partners as well as do some wholesaling from time to time. As you can see I wear many hats and have a unique way of doing things. If you want to talk shop sometime drop me a line and I'll schedule a time with you to see how I might be able to help.

@Jacob Wear welcome...there is plenty of opportunity in Ohio cities like Dayton, Toledo, Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati...there is a benefit to sitting on your side of the table, in that you can build multiple teams in multiple areas...I guess there are positive and negative outcomes with the strategy, but it definitely increases your odds of an acquisition if you're working with 5-6 agents/brokers...

At the end of the day, the one determining factor that most investors are constrained by is the cash you have...so, its a matter of finding the strongest market that holds your asset class...at your price-point.

Always glad to chat further about the local market. Best of luck going forward.

Hello Jacob. The Toledo region has been growing recently, especially out west and down south. The city is also trying to revitalize the east side by investing into it a new park and apartments. We're seeing great opportunities. We have a very diverse job sector here too so I'm expecting great growth from what the city has been accomplishing recently.

Hello there @Jacob Wear Thank you for your service!!  I live in Toledo and I invest in Cleveland, Akron and in Tampa, FL.  Out of my portfolios, I like secondary markets better.  Toledo, Dayton and Akron would be the secondary markets in Ohio.  I have found that I have better tenant interaction along with property care than my Cleveland items (Just an opinion).

In Toledo, I have seen investors really like the area, low cost on properties, good rental income.  Not to mention, Toledo is a bit on the landlord friendly side of things.  I have been to court on my rentals in Cleveland and it was a nightmare.  

Good luck on investing, you are on a great forum with great individuals!

Originally posted by @Jacob Wear :

My wife and I are out-of-state, fledgling buy and hold investors ready to jump in with both feet. I am retired military and she is active, which is why we are interested in long-distance investing and could use some advice in the markets we have identified. We are looking into Augusta, GA.; Little Rock, AR; Lawton, OK.; and Dayton, OH and would love to hear any advice about up and coming areas or no-go areas. We are in the team building phase now so any advice on the "core four" is also very welcome! We plan to use the BRRRR strategy to build our portfolio and recycle capital, but are also open to multi-family deals.

I recommend you read this article on OOS investing. It explains the importance of creating your core four. You will need to get a local, rockstar Realtor, contractor, lender, and property manager.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/core-four-real-estate-team

I invest locally in Columbus, Ohio

@Douglas Spence We were looking at Lawton as a possible Market due to the military base.  After a further research, it seems that Lawton would be a risky investment since it relies solely on the base and there are no other factors driving the economy.