• Denver CO
Votes |
Wood rot on recently purchased SFH invesment - KCMO

Melissa Robbins
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Denver CO
Posted Oct 21 2021, 21:33

Investors - I'm torn on making a decision here and am curious how some of you would handle this situation. 

For starters, here is my background.  I am a new investor in KCMO, but live in Denver. I bought three SFHs at 2.785% in KCMO area in March with 25% down, All are rented at double the mortgage payment. I'd like to hold these for 10 or more years. 

I'm learning one home has a larger amount of wood rot on the siding than I originally realized and it needs gutter work as well.  This is a classic raised ranch (bi-level), 3x2, at about 1500 sq feet, built-in 1995. 

The seller noted this in the disclosure but did not provide detailed comments and the inspector noted some wood rot but did not mark it as an urgent item. Sadly, the inspector has since passed away. Clearly, I knew about this but did not know the extent of the problem, and I did not push to get bids before the inspection resolution was complete. My fault. Lesson learned. I've received one bid for $15,000 to fix the gutters, power wash, replace wood rot and paint, and trying to collect more bids. I have the cash to fix it but would rather spend it on my next purchase.

My questions to you all are this. 

• I've never owned a home with wood siding. When will I know the exterior wood rot is at a point when it HAS to be replaced because it's affecting the value of the home? 
  • What alternative options, if any, would you use to temporarily patch the problem to buy time and fix it later?
  • Does anyone have a trustworthy siding expert in the KCMO area they would recommend? 

I'm probably overthinking this but obviously concerned I've made a $15k mistake. And I want to show the banks these are profitable so I can continue to finance more deals next year. 

Curious how some of the more experienced investors would evaluate this situation. Any advice?  Thank you for your time!

Loading replies...