Stinkin' House

9 Replies

Not really sure why I'm posting this, but the Hubzu REO that I looked at today was one of the most stinking houses that I have ever been it. I think the previous owners must have had 20 dogs inside.

I think it's a guy thing. One guy's gym bag gets really ripe, and he's like "Oh man, that's rank." Then turns to his buddy and says "Here, smell this."

I love @Dawn Anastasi 's analysis.
And I'm glad this is the internet and you can't actually turn to us and say "Here, smell this"

But sometimes you just have to share about an experience to get over the trauma!

@Jean Bolger More like, "you have to share the trauma to get over the experience", but who's to say since we never actually smelled it.

Cook some curry in the house will definitely mask the stink.

There's a great product that I used to use for my smelly rehabs. It's called OdorXit. It is sold as a concentrate and can be applied with a sprayer. It knocked out the most foul odors that couldn't be handled with cleaning.

Check the vents! the last rehab I did had such a bad mice problem (they were nesting in the vents and the insulation), that the previous owners blocked the vents with plastic bags because the smell of mice poop and pee was just percolating the house. On a hot day, the smell coming out of the vents made your eyes water.

The extermination company came out to clean the mice poop, filled 3 full trash bags each waist high with nothing but mice poop.

Since it drives away a lot of competition over something that's usually pretty easy to fix, that stink is often the smell of money.

@Andrew Syrios - Except that this "stinker" keeps getting relisted on Hubzu with a minimum bid in the mid-40s and it has an ARV of about 70 with 25 needed in repairs. No one makes any offer on it at all, and the Hubzu goobs keep on putting it back up there with a minimum in the mid-40s. Over and over and over and over.

Originally posted by @Bryan L. :
@Andrew Syrios - Except that this "stinker" keeps getting relisted on Hubzu with a minimum bid in the mid-40s and it has an ARV of about 70 with 25 needed in repairs. No one makes any offer on it at all, and the Hubzu goobs keep on putting it back up there with a minimum in the mid-40s. Over and over and over and over.

You're right, sometimes they just stink figuratively and literally.

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide