Eviction of previous owner/Tenant

7 Replies

How can I evict an OCCUPANT after I bought the home in an Action?

Please share any service providers/Lawyers contact information in DFW area who can handle the eviction.

Simon

I can't help you with the lawyer contact but I'm curious if you've spoken with the current occupant. We have just purchased at auction an occupied property and so far dealings have been amenable. We were prepared to offer him a sum to leave in a week (cash for keys) but turns out the neighborhood is sketchy enough that we're keeping him in there until we get everything lined up for the renovation.

Not a question to be asked here, go to your local courthouse and ask.

@Simon Koithara

I am not a lawyer. Please seek the help of legal council so your covered. 

Why evict? Is the tenant not paying the rent? Do you have a good tenant and just need the place vacated?

It might be easier to offer 'cash for keys' than go through a legal process.

As has been previously mentioned, be familiar with your state specific laws, as even "cash for keys" is very much frowned upon in some states.  I do a ton of foreclosure work in Massachusetts as part of my day job, and I can tell you from experience that any Attorney (familiar with MA housing law) will cringe if they hear you even mention "cash for keys".

Originally posted by @John White :

.. I can tell you from experience that any Attorney (familiar with MA housing law) will cringe if they hear you even mention "cash for keys".

That is really unfortunate. Texas might be a bit more landlord friendly in this case.

Of course everyone's situation is unique. Always seek the advice of a lawyer that specializes in real estate. 

Just added a note for the OP with 2 lawyers on the DFW area.

@John White Cash for Keys gives the Tenant (who's hopefully not the owner) a starting point to negotiate. Maybe offering to move them and a reference is better.

I know of several situations in Massachusetts where Tenant/Owners have squatted for at least 8 years;-(

@Mike Hurney  

I understand what you're saying, but you're in MA, so you probably already know that there isn't a more tenant friendly state on the planet. We've had tenant in place (non paying) for years that the bank seller can't get out. Even when lockouts are finally ordered, it's not at all uncommon for them to be canceled, countless times. It's definitely not a state that I would want to own rental property in, just given what I've seen over the past 5 years of my career, on the REO side of the real estate business.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.